Friday 15 January 2010

Thursday 14th January 2010 Celeriac & Celery Nut Crumble

Today was never going to be an easy day. Don't get me wrong - I love my job, and its not usually stressful - but some days, for certain reasons, you know it won't be good. Today was shaping up to be one of those days!

This is important as it has an adverse affect on my ability to cook.

I am on the bus and train this week, so get to work early and leave early so hubs doesn't need to make a special journey down icy roads to pick me up from town. For some archaic and uncapitalist reason, Barnsley market doesn't open on a Thursday. Don't people need food on Thursday? I have never mastered yet what days are "full market", "indoor market" and "second hand market" though I have worked here 13 years!

Busy at work, so it was a quick dash across town to Morrisons, though for some reason Barnsley Morrisons brings out the worst in me as there always seems to be people blocking my way with trolleys or indecisively hovering in front of the chill section when I know exactly what I want. I really should not be so grumpy!

Back on the train, a bit wound up by the day. At home a stiff Dry Martini was in order - and the hubs makes a fine Martini, albeit today it was without an olive. Dry Martinis - ideally made with Bombay Sapphire and Noilly Prat for me - are delicate and delicious. But they do make me tipsy!

My kitchen - which is quite small - was a tip with pots and pans from the night before. The living room was upside down as I opened all my council correspondence when I got home. It was a month's worth. I never like to start cooking in chaos, but in order to eat at a reasonable time, mistakenly began. Because of work, my head was all over the place.


I had a recipe for oven baked rosemary and Parmesan chips that I had cut out from yesterday's Yorkshire Post. I thought it sounded nice. However, I failed to read the instructions and instead of blanching them for a couple of minutes, boiled them until they were soft.


Had another Martini - bad idea!


As we had the best part of a bunch of celery left, I close to make Celeriac and Celery Nout Crumble, from Leith's Vegetarian Bible. I love the combination of celery, celeriac, apple and sage. It is definitiely comfort food for a frosty day. The crumble more or less went to plan, but crumles rarely look good in photos - they are just brown.


The chips meanwhile were not browning evenly and were becoming soggy. My fault! Always read the recipe in advance!


By the time dinner was served, they looked unappetising - like chips from a bad chippy. The actually tasted all right and I may try to do them correctly next time. However, by this time, I had lost patience and just threw everything on to the plate, and had a glass or two of red.

No comments:

Post a Comment